Thousands of years ago Cherry Hill and the surrounding area was home to native Americans. A Lenape village lay between the top of Cherry Hill and the village of Schoeneck in Upper Nazareth Township, and artifacts are still found in the fields in this area, including axes, knives, hammerstones and other artifacts turned up by the farmer’s plow.
In the book, History of Bushkill Township 1813-2007 by James A. Wright, it is noted:
Peter Gross came here in 1830 and in 1850 was operating a store and tavern. In the latter year the village had about eight dwellings. The Martin Guitar Company began here in 1833 in a large building still standing on the west side of the road. Two men named Miller and Motther built a store here in 1826, but when Motther drowned in the Delaware River the property was sold to Peter Gross. In 1874 J. Hagenbach was operating the Cherry Hill Hotel. In that year the village included a store, harness shop, lumber yard, and 20 dwellings. The current Cherry Hill Hotel is a later structure.
A July 15, 1918, copy of the local newspaper reported the following:
The Cherry Hill Hotel, located in Bushkill township, a few miles from Nazareth, was destroyed by a fire of mysterious origin this morning. At about 10 o-clock neighbors noticed smoke issuing from the second floor of the building, and an investigation revealed a fire raging in that part of the house. The flames spread rapidly and it was soon seen that the building was doomed.
A call for help was sent to Nazareth and the chief and twenty men went out on the chemical engine. They could do nothing to check the flames, which by that time had spread through the entire section of the hotel. The firemen directed their attention to saving adjoining buildings. At noon the walls began to crumble and the fire was spreading through the lower floor. The building was owned by Mrs. Emma Rice of Tatamy and was occupied by Robert Kilpatrick, formerly of Phillipsburg. The building was valued at about $12,000 and Kilpatrick declares his loss through the destruction of furniture, clothing and stock, will reach $9,000. There is insurance on both building and contents. The hotel, a three-and-a-half brick building was erected 75 years ago by Peter Gross, who, besides conducting a hotel, also ran a general store. Nine barrels of whiskey were carried from the cellar of the hotel, while the fire was raging and deposited in a potato field nearby. The building was lighted by electricity and acetylene gas.